Hot spinach artichoke dip is a creamy appetizer dip filled with cheese, spinach, and chopped artichokes. They are all melted together and baked until it’s hot and bubbly in a skillet that’s ready for dipping!
Dips are my favorite kind of appetizer! If you love warm dips, then you must try these tried and true favorites like this chicken alfredo dip, this crab dip or this yummy hot corn dip.
Spinach Artichoke Dip
Every time I go to a restaurant and spinach artichoke dip is on the menu, you can bet that I am ordering it! But I want this way too often only to have it when I go out to eat! I came up with this recipe to have restaurant-quality dip at home, whenever you want. And let me tell you, you are going to love this hot spinach artichoke dip! It’s creamy, rich, and thick, and your guests will be sitting by the food table dipping all night long.
This is a spinach artichoke dip filled with a hidden ingredient, mayonnaise, blends so well with all the flavors, giving it an extra boost. The blended cheeses melt in your mouth and have a subtle artichoke taste. Plus, because you cook and serve it straight from the baking dish, it stays warm for a long time! Everyone loves this dip, so make sure to serve it up with a crostini as your next appetizer for any party!
Ingredients in Spinach Artichoke Dip
This spinach artichoke dip comes together so smoothly and effortlessly. This dip is simple and easy to make and everyone will be raving about it at your next get-together! See the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- Cream Cheese: Take thisout before so that it can soften up to room temperature.
- Sour Cream: This is part of the base of the mixture that makes this dip creamy.
- Mayonnaise: The secret ingredient to making this dip really stand out!
- Garlic Cloves: If you don’t have any fresh garlic then you can use minced garlic instead. ½ teaspoon equals about 1 clove of garlic.
- Mozzarella Cheese and Parmesan Cheese: These two cheeses will blend better if you shred them directly from a block.
- Artichokes: Canned artichkes work fine in this recipe, just make sure to chp them up as large or small as you prefer.
- Spinach: I use frozen spinach in this dip. Make sure to thaw it beforehand.
How to Make Spinach Artichoke Dip
Watch how easily this dip comes together and has SO. MUCH. FLAVOR! Follow the instructions and serve this directly from your baking dish. It will keep hot throughout the night.
- Preheat Oven and Mix Ingredients: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium sized bowl add the cream cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise and mix until incorporated. Add the garlic, mozzarella cheese, parmesan, artichokes and spinach.
- Bake: Spread the mixture evenly into a 1 quart baking dish. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until it is heated throughout and bubbly. Serve warm with sliced baguette or crackers.
Tips and Variations
This spinach artichoke dip is always a hit, and everyone can’t stop dipping as they are gathered around. Try my Skinny Three Cheese Spinach Artichoke Dip for a lighter way of enjoying this delicious dip.
- Frozen Spinach: Thawing your spinach is best for this spinach artichoke dip. Once it is thawed, remove as much water/liquid from the spinach. You can squeeze the spinach in your hands or use a paper towel to squeeze it out. Frozen pieces of spinach will be long and stringy, simply chop it up the best you can.
- Fresh Spinach: You can use fresh spinach in this dip. Just make sure it is cooked before adding it to the mixture and then chop it up into pieces you prefer.
- Canned Spinach: I have not tried canned spinach but it can be used. You will want to drain it and also remove any extra liquid.
- Artichokes: Jarred marinated artichoke hearts are great to use as well for more flavoring. If you would like a fresh artichoke, remove the prickly outside parts on the artichoke then chop it up.
- Cheese: Substitute the cheese for Monterey Jack or fontina cheese for different flavoring.
- Seasoning and Spices: Add in garlic powder or for a spicy hot spinach artichoke dip try adding in red pepper flakes.
- Slow Cooker: To keep this spinach artichoke dip warm add it to a slow cooker on warm, stirring it occasionally.
What to Serve with Spinach Artichoke Dip
The options are endless with this dip! There are so many ways to dip and enjoy. Try these variations of what to serve with your spinach artichoke dip and watch it disappear quickly.
- Crackers: Ritz, CLUB crackers or wheat thins are great for dipping.
- Chips: Tortilla chips or pita chips are always easiest.
- Bread: French baguette, a crostini or pita bread are perfect for dipping!
- Vegetables: Cucumbers, bell peppers, carrots or celery all have a great crunch.
- Pretzels: Bigger, flatter pretzels are best and thick to dip with.
How to Make This Ahead and Store Leftovers
Making spinach artichoke dip is so quick and easy to make that you don’t need to make ahead, but here are some ways of storing and warming up this spinach and artichoke dip.
- Making ahead before cooking: This will work well for making before your party. Simply mix all ingredients together following the instructions. Place in your skillet or pan for baking. Cover tightly and store in the refrigerator up to 8 hours. Once you are ready to bake, add a few extra minutes and bake according to directions.
- Can you cook this spinach artichoke dip ahead of time? Yes, after baking the spinach artichoke dip let cool completely. Once it is cooled either tightly cover it with wrap or add it to another air tight container to store in the refrigerator. It will sit in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.
- Warming up: When ready to reheat, add it to an oven safe pan and reheat it until it is nice and bubbly hot or warm up slowly in a slow cooker on low or warm setting. You can also reheat over the stove top on low stirring occasionally until it is warm to the touch.
Hot Spinach Artichoke Dip
- 8 ounce cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese grated
- 1 14 ounce can Artichokes chopped
- 6 ounce frozen spinach thawed
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium sized bowl add the cream cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise and mix until incorporated. Add the garlic, mozzarella cheese, parmesan, artichokes and spinach.
Spread the mixture evenly into a 1 quart baking dish. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until it is heated throughout and bubbly. Serve warm with sliced baguette or crackers.
Updated March 21, 2022